Australian Wind and Solarlian

The best solution for all your power needs

Forums

Forum Home > Welcome to Australian Wind and Solar > Test Site

AWS Test Site

Welcome to our test site section. I will be posting data from our test site and inform you of how our family of 4 is living with renewable energy generated by the 1Kw wind turbine and 2Kw solar system. Our aim is to zero our grid power use and have hotwater at all times.

--

October 14, 2013 at 6:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

AWS Test Site

Well hasn't it been a windy couple of days. Must say it's been good for flying flags and making wind power,lol. I must collate all the data in regards to how much renewable energy has been generated, how much power has been consumed and sent up the grid, and how many days it's been without using grid power to heat up our hotwater. I must admit it's been quiet good watching the turbine spin,it's kind of like watching fish in an aqarium,it's relaxing,lol.

Anyway for those of you who can't wait for the full data it's like this, today we generated over 13Kw in wind power with the AWS 1Kw turbine. The wind was so strong at times that some old trees we have around the farm nearly gave way. The turbine on the other hand just kept going and at no time did i think it would spin off my property, it did what it was meant to do, slow down a bit and then pick up. I can honestly say that quality does shine and prove itself on days like today. Our solar,2Kw, made a total of 9Kw. Unfortunately we sent a total of nearly 10Kw up the grid,wouldn't it be good if i can store it but the missus didn't want the battery back up offered free by AWS,grrrrrrr.

Our beut product,ImmerSun, sent 5Kw to the electric hotwater unit and by the afternoon it told me that water was hot!!!! I just had a nice hot shower and the whole family has had one too. All four having hot showers every day. Now get this, it's been 21 days since we have disabled the use of grid power to heat our water. Yes, 21 days of free hot water, and i haven't even had to change my electric hotwater unit. I do highly reccomend the installation of the immeSun if you have solar and or wind.

The turbine is still producing some of the power we are needing to run the househlod tonight, well after the solar has been asleep since 7Pm. Also i am about to jump into my warm(electric blanketed)bed. Oh, yes grid power used today,24hrs, was only 2Kw.

Good night and thank you AWS Wind turbine ,solar ,immerSun and Australian Wind and Solar for allowing me to put the money saved in power to our Christmas holiday fund,lol 

--

October 17, 2013 at 6:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

AWS Test Site

AWS Test Site at October 17, 2013 at 6:13 AM

Well hasn't it been a windy couple of days. Must say it's been good for flying flags and making wind power,lol. I must collate all the data in regards to how much renewable energy has been generated, how much power has been consumed and sent up the grid, and how many days it's been without using grid power to heat up our hotwater. I must admit it's been quiet good watching the turbine spin,it's kind of like watching fish in an aqarium,it's relaxing,lol.

Anyway for those of you who can't wait for the full data it's like this, today we generated over 13Kw in wind power with the AWS 1Kw turbine. The wind was so strong at times that some old trees we have around the farm nearly gave way. The turbine on the other hand just kept going and at no time did i think it would spin off my property, it did what it was meant to do, slow down a bit and then pick up. I can honestly say that quality does shine and prove itself on days like today. Our solar,2Kw, made a total of 9Kw. Unfortunately we sent a total of nearly 10Kw up the grid,wouldn't it be good if i can store it but the missus didn't want the battery back up offered free by AWS,grrrrrrr.

Our beut product,ImmerSun, sent 5Kw to the electric hotwater unit and by the afternoon it told me that water was hot!!!! I just had a nice hot shower and the whole family has had one too. All four having hot showers every day. Now get this, it's been 21 days since we have disabled the use of grid power to heat our water. Yes, 21 days of free hot water, and i haven't even had to change my electric hotwater unit. I do highly reccomend the installation of the immeSun if you have solar and or wind.

The turbine is still producing some of the power we are needing to run the househlod tonight, well after the solar has been asleep since 7Pm. Also i am about to jump into my warm(electric blanketed)bed. Oh, yes grid power used today,24hrs, was only 2Kw.

Good night and thank you AWS Wind turbine ,solar ,immerSun and Australian Wind and Solar for allowing me to put the money saved in power to our Christmas holiday fund,lol 

Hi everyone, i am back. It's been great having the strong wind over the last week. The other week a mini tornado ripped through Ararat, our neighbour. I had the strongest wind here that night in years. Corrigated iron which was loose blew over to the next paddock and geuss how the AWS trubine fared?? Well to be honest i stood in the control room, rugged up and watched with a bright torch how it behaved and after reading the post about turbines by the Tech team i could not strongly agree that oils aint oils.

The turbine was generating over 1500 watts of power,(not bad for a 1Kw), and at times the tail would slow the turbine down to a slower speed,(not too slow). Now i'm no pro when it comes to the nuts and bolts of turbines but as i have said in my earlier post(now that wind was nothing compared to this time) there was no fear of the turbine spinning of my property.

It's been 6 weeks since the turbine was connected to my house and it has produced over 124Kw of free power, considering it is only a 1Kw that is great, should have taken the 3Kw that was offered by AWS, imagine how much power that would have made,lol.

The immerSun has saved me over 31 days of electricity to heat my hot water. Yes i haven't used the grid power to heat my hot water for over 31 days.The great thing is i didn't have to change my hotwater unit and yes we have had hot showers.

Anyway that's enough from me, if you have any questions please feel free to post them and i will try to answer then or get the tech team to.

Good night

--

October 27, 2013 at 6:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

AWS Test Site

Hi Everyone!!

It's been a while since i posted something so i thought i would poke my head in the forum and let you know how it's been going. First of all it's been a total of 57 days of free hotwater from the sun. Our Immersun has diverted a total of 500KW to my electric hotwater unit since it's been installed. As i have said earlier, i haven't had to change my electric hotwater unit. We all enjoy our hot showers without having to worry about paying to heat the water up again.

In regards to the 1Kw turbine, it's produced a total of 169KW since it has been installed and conected. I got a call from Adam after he installed a 3Kw system down the road and he informed me of how much power the turbine was producing. I now really wish i took the 3Kw he had offered as the test system.

The solar has been producing about5-10Kw a day,but the cloudy days has made the turbine produce good power when compared to the solar. Powercor is cutting down some trees next door to protect the lines due to the trees dying. Can't wait as the trees block the wind when it is blowing a SSE.

Anyway must go and hope to touch base soon.Goodnight all.

--

November 21, 2013 at 4:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ADANT Services Group
Site Owner

Thanks for the update, it will be great to see the extra generation from the SSE..500Kw from the immersun to date that is absolutly well beyong our wildest expectation.

--

November 23, 2013 at 5:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AWS Test Site

Hi Folks,

Well it's been a productive month in regards to renewable energy, i have tallied up all the figures and was very suprised with the results. Before i give them to you i want to add that we never ran out of hotwater and believe me having a tenage daughter showering really tested out our non reliance on grid supplied power to our hotwater unit, those of you with tenagers in the house know what i am going on about,lol.

Over all the solar diverter(ImmerSun) ,we have, sent a total of 148Kw to our hot water unit for the month of November. Wow i say, so far 600Kw of solar power sent to the hot water unit to date thats a saving of over $98. It's been a total of 79 days of not using the grid to heat our hot water.

Now i recieved my power bill the other day and my retailer decided to estimate read my off peak power usage, very angry i was,grrrr, i rang my retailer up to find out why an estimate of the off peak was done. Their reply,get this

Due to the no increase in the usage of the off peak we thought the meter was not reading properly, so we calculated your usage going by previous bills.

I was furious, i explained what was going on and explained the system i was using,to their embarassment they explained that they will modify the bill.

So on with the results. Wind total of 60 Kw with a 1Kw AWS turbine- Solar 130Kw with a AWS 2Kw system.

You do the maths, who says wind is not worth it??

By for now and look forward to any questions or visit to our site. 

--

December 11, 2013 at 3:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ADANT Services Group
Site Owner
Well that left your retailer red faced. The Immersun is just the Gem amongst the system isn't it.
--

December 14, 2013 at 3:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AWS Test Site

Hi everyone Merry Christmas and i hope 2014 is going to be the best year for you. It's been a crazy time in December and with everything having to be completed by the 24th one cant help  wonder we run around like a chook without a head. Things can wait til the new year but am i the only one who seems to think that December is the busiest time of the year??? With meeting everyone in the family, exchanging gifts, eating lots of food(pudding my favorite) i must say i am glad it's over.

Now that's my opinion out of the way it's now time for the December figures of the AWS test site.

It's been 100 days since we last switched off the grid power to my electric hotwater unit and we have all enjoyed extended shower times and never ran out of hot water. The excess power generated by my hybrid system(wind&solar) has heated up the water in time for our showers. No we don't have to shower at a paticular time of day because my immurSun unit heated mostly during the day and many times the display said Water Hot. I haven't had to use grid power at all

With the extended daylight hours and the solar panels positioned in the optimum angle i have produced a whoping 233 Kw of solar in December. Unfortunately, warmer weather means calmer days and so the wind produced only 55 Kw of power. Stop Press!!!!! This production occured 70% of the time at night,yes it gets windy at night here,lol. This means that my night power consumption was provided most of the time in the dark, when the solar panels where asleep and the turbine was spinning.

This week has been very windy and today my solar generated 8kw whilst the wind turbine produced 10kw and is still going, so far 25 kw of wind has been produced this month. My hotwater is hot too because we tend to use less hot water in summer hence less cold water going into the tank.

I look forward to a bill which will be mostly made up of service and supply charge. Who says solar is better than wind?? The solar companies say that whilst my advice is, if you have solar a wind turbine to top it off will definetly reduce your power bill and get the boys to install the solar/wind diverter(immerSun) if you have electric hotwater.

Anyways got to go, see you at the end of the month

--

January 6, 2014 at 4:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

AWS Test Site

Hi Everyone,

Greetings from the AWS Test site. Sorry i haevn't updated the data for last month but it's been a bit hectic here. To start off it's been an awsome month of sunny days and not too hot weather, i am really looking forward to winter, love the warm fire and early finishes to the day. Also we get a ton of wind here from the southerlys that blow straight from the ocean, only these winds are more stable and go on for days. The down side is that the solar goes into partial hybernation,lol.

So to date we have had free hotwater from the excess power generated by the wind turbine and solar panels and to tell you the truth i have stopped counting after 150 days of free hotwater. so if you want to work it out read my last post and count from there to today. The solar diverter used is much better than the others you may find out there. It is more user friendly, you are able to set boost times and for how long. You can set a manual boost and for how long too. The smart meter function of turning on boost keeps going until your water is hot, you can check the temp at the tap and if you are happy with the temp(for a shower) you can turn it off with the immersun. Also whilst playing around with the function buttons i noticed i gives you a month by month report, whilst also showing you the daily tally.

We have had stabble weather over the last month and the wind turbine gennerated a total of 80 Kw's. The solar only got to 220kw's. Now i noticed in hot tempreatures the panels aren't working to their full potential. There has been hardly windy days due to the stable high pressure systems we get during that time of the year. I do know that there has been nights where the turbine is spinning producing power for the house to run at night.

I have to say that with the figures given you have to consider a few variables that exsist. One being the turbine does not capture the northerly winds due to the fact that there is a row of tall pine trees across the road, these block the wind. Great for my home in summer but not great if you want to run a turbine. I was advised that where i wanted to place the turbine that the trees would block the wind, but hey the trees are just at their last legs so they won't be there forever,lol. Also in summer we get stable air pressures meaning still days and lovely weather.

Anyways that's it from me and if you want to ask me something i will try to answer it best i can, and i don't check my posts everyday so i will get back to you when i do.

I am looking forward to the next month when winter weather starts to set in, send me rain please!!!!!!!

--

March 20, 2014 at 4:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.
Google+